Response to Text: Chapters 6-10

Overall, chapters six through ten were a good read apart from chapter seven which left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Through the duration of this chapter I had an unexplainable gut-wrenching feeling because of the uncensored atrocity that is the rape scene. After completing the chapter I had this bad feeling that something awful is to come. I cannot put into words though how disgusted I was. It got to the point where I only read because I knew I had to, to finish this entry; otherwise I would have left the book. For then next week, I couldn’t as much as look at the book without cringing. Hassan’s rape triggered a very strong feeling of anger and hatred, because of how offensive the scene was. The most poignant quote for me was:

“He unzipped his jeans. Dropped his underwear. He positioned himself behind Hassan. Hassan didn’t struggle. Didn’t even whimper. He moved his head slightly and I caught a glimpse of his face. Saw the resignation in it. It was a look I had seen before. It was the look of the lamb” (Hosseini 81).

I found this quote incredibly sad. Especially the last few lines of it. Inside of me swirled feelings of hopelessness and anguish, because I wanted to help the character escape, but I knew it was just a story. The interesting part of this passage is the shortness of the sentences. I believe this is due to the fact that the author had a hard time writing this chapter, but only finished because it was essential to the book’s storyline. One interesting part of the quote above was the line, “It was a look I had seen before. It was the look of the lamb” (81). I viewed this as a subliminal reference to the bible; the way Hassan was very silent and gentle, yet strong, even though he was involved in one of the most degrading acts, if not the most that is known to man. This parallels Jesus, and the way he was exploited, violated, and degraded but still remained at silent and peaceful. The character that most aggravated me was Amir. The way he did absolutely nothing, just standing there as Hassan was brutally raped. How could someone not get involved and fight for his friend. Through chapters one through five, I held some lingering distaste towards Amir, but now that distaste has turned to hatred and disgust. I wonder what will become of Amir and Hassan in the chapters to come.

1 comment:

Scott Maduri said...

Hey Meg!

After reading through those chapters I totally know how you feel. Seriously, I was so utterly disgusted with the rape scene, and the detailed manor in which it was written in. That scene better serve a very important purpose in the plot of this novel, due to the degree in which it affected me. Another good point that you make in your entry, is the fact that Amir is nothing short of scum. From the beginning of the novel I found Amir to be an arrogant, conniving, little waist of air, but after this scene I could honest care less what happens to him. At the beginning I noticed how Amir doesn’t feel like him and Hassan are friends, more or less acquaintances, but I assumed that at the least he would always be there for Hassan like was during the whole soldier fiasco. I was proved horribly wrong. The way Amir just stood their when he could of helped Hassan and saved him his pride. Instead he let Hassan suffer through probably one of the most humiliating and degrading acts one can bestow on another. Just as you did, I found it interesting the way Hassan did not react forcefully like most people would. This part almost made me cry it was so sad. I felt as though Hassan’s actions paralleled someone else familiar but I could not place a finger on it until I read through your blog. The person who I was thinking of was Jesus as well. Overall, awesome job Meagan, keep it coming!

- Scott